RONDA — The 2018 Mountain Valley Athletic Conference tennis championship came down to the last match of the season between the Elkin Buckin’ Elks and the East Wilkes Cardinals.
Earlier in the season, Elkin had taken the win over East Wilkes in Elkin. On Thursday night, the Cardinals were looking for revenge with the extra incentive of a share of the championship on the line.
After six singles matches, East Wilkes had a 4-2 lead over Elkin. When the doubles matches were over, East Wilkes had successfully taken a 6-3 win.
1. Ryan Macy (Elkin) d. Nick Wooldredge 6-1, 6-0
2. Josiah Sparks (EW) d. Silas Coley 6-1, 6-2
3. Easton Wagoner (EW) d. Holt Jackson 6-2, 6-7, 11-9
4. Patrick Soos (Elkin) d. Abram Sparks 6-2, 6-2
5. Ty Cleary (EW) d. Jose Zuniga 6-3, 7-5
6. Dylan Ward (EW) d. Anthony Parrett 6-0, 6-0
1. Macy/Zuniga (Elkin) d. Wooldredge/Cleary 8-2
2. Sparks/Sparks (EW) d. Jackson/Soos 8-5
3. Wagoner/Ward (EW) d. Coley/Caeson Baker 8-3
Both teams ended the regular season with a MVAC record of 11-1. Overall Elkin had a record of 13-2, while East Wilkes had a record of 11-4.