The Elkin baseball, softball, soccer and tennis teams competed in conference and non-conference games over the past week. Some teams had wins, while others had losses.
Elkin 10 – Ashe County 0
The Buckin’ Elks started off the week as they defeated the Ashe County Huskies 10-0 in five innings. Tyler Wood pitched all five innings, giving up two hits, zero runs, walking two, and had seven strikeouts. The Elks pounded out 15 hits, which was led by Colt Henderson. Henderson was 3-for-4 with two RBIs, and two runs scored. Other hitters were Hayden Brooks, Wade Wagoner, Tyler Wood and Maston Renegar with two hits each. Brooks and Wagoner tallied two RBIs each, while Wood and Renegar each had an RBI. Coy Yarboro, Wyatt Jester and Gabe Hege had hits for the Elks. Brady Shugart had a double and an RBI.
North Stokes 8 – Elkin 7
For the second game of the week, Elkin hosted North Stokes. The Vikings got off to an early 7-0 lead after the second inning. North Stokes was able to score one run in the top of the sixth. Elkin was able to score one run in the fourth, one in the fifth, and five in the sixth. The Buckin’ Elks tried to battle back, but North Stokes was able to hang on to take the win. Elkin collected five hits in seven innings. Maston Renegar went 2-for-4 at the plate, while Colt Henderson went 1-for-3, Tyler Wood went 1-for-2, and Gage Hege went 1-for-3. Hayden Brooks, Wood, Michael Steelman and Hege had RBIs for Elkin. On the mound, Wyatt Jester pitched 1.2 innings, Steelman pitched 4.1 innings and had three strikeouts, and Hege pitched one inning and had one strikeout.
Alleghany 6 – Elkin 1
Elkin traveled to Alleghany to take on the Trojans on Friday night. The Buckin’ Elks scored the first run of the night in the top of the fourth inning. Hayden Brooks hit a triple to center field, then was brought across the plate as Coy Yarboro hit an RBI to second base. This would be the lone run for Elkin, as Alleghany scored two runs in the fourth, two in the fifth, and two in the sixth. At the plate, Brooks and Maston Renegar went 2-for-3; Moore, Shugart and Henderson went 1-for-3. Yarboro pitched 4.1 innings with three strikeouts, Hege pitched half an inning, and Brooks pitched 1.1 innings.
Ashe 3 – Elkin 0
The Lady Elks fell to Ashe County last week in their first game of the week. Elkin accumulated eight hits at the plate. Sophie Reinhardt pitched 5.1 innings with two strikeouts, while Casey Matthews pitched 1.2 innings. At the plate, Audrey Jennings went 1-for-4, Madison Lane went 2-for-4, Reinhardt went 2-for-4, Maggie Brewer went 2-for-2, and Gracie Luffman went 1-for-3.
Elkin 4 – South Stokes 2
Elkin was able to take a late lead over South Stokes last week for a 4-2 win. The game was tied going into the fifth inning, when Madison Lane put down an RBI to score Reinhardt and give Elkin a 3-2 lead. The final run from Elkin came in the sixth inning, as Matthews singled to right field and Kyley Cook scored. On the mound, Matthews pitched a complete game with four strikeouts. At the plate, Matthews went 2-for-3, Reinhardt went 2-for-4, Sawyers went 1-for-1, Chloe Osborne went 2-for-4, Luffman went 1-for-4, and Cook went 1-for-3.
Alleghany 11 – Elkin 1
Elkin scored one run in its game against Alleghany, and it came in the fifth inning. Matthews pitched a five-inning game and earned one strikeout. Elkin accumulated three hits, as Matthews with 1-for-3, while Osborne and Lane went 1-for-2.
The Lady Elks soccer team has been on a roll over the past few weeks, as they are on a four-game winning streak. Elkin took a 6-2 win over East Wilkes, a 3-0 win over North Wilkes, a 4-2 win over East Surry, and a 4-0 win over West Wilkes. With the wins, Elkin has a conference record of 4-2 and an overall record of 6-2. In the MVAC, Elkin sits in third place.
Elkin tennis took a hard fought 5-4 win over East Wilkes on March 27. On Monday night, Elkin played a double header against East Surry and took an 8-1 win and a 6-3 win. With the wins, Elkin moves to 10-1.
Elkin 5 – East Wilkes 4
1. Ryan Macy Elkin def Nick Wooldridge East Wilkes 6-0, 6-0
2. Silas Coley E def Josiah Sparks EW 4-6, 6-2, 10-2
3. Easton Wagoner EW def Holt Jackson E, 6-3, 1-6, 13-11
4. Patrick Soos E def Ty Cleary EW, 6-1, 6-1
5. Abram Sparks E def Joe Gallion E, 6-1, 6-2
6. Dylan Ward EW def Jose Zuinga E, 6-0, 6-2
1. Macy/Jackson E def Wooldridge/Cleary EW, 8-0
2. Coley/Soos E def J. Sparks/Wagoner EW, 8-6
3. A. Sparks/Ward EW def Gallion/Zuinga E 8-1
Elkin 8 – East Surry 1
1. Ryan Macy Elkin def A. J. Key East Surry, 8-0
2. Silas Coley, E def Ryan Sigmon ES, 8-4
3. Ryan Presnell ES, def Holt Jackson E 9-8(9)
4. Patrick Soos E def Eli Gray ES, 8-0
5. Joe Gallion E def Nathan Cox ES, 8-2
6. Anthony Parrett E def Lee Knight ES, 8-5
1. Macy/Soos E def Key/Sigmon ES, 8-0
2. Coley/Jackson E def Presnell/Cox ES, 8-6
3. Gallion/Parrett E def Knight/Gray ES, 8-4
Elkin 6 – East Surry 3
1.Ryan Macy E, def A.J. Key ES, 8-0
2. Patrick Soos E def Ryan Sigmond ES, 8-0
3. Silas Coley E def Ryan Presnell, ES, 8-1
4. Nathan Cox, ES def Coleman Mathis E, 8-1
5. Eli Gray ES def Anthony Parrett E, 8-4
6. Lee Knight ES, def Caeson Baker E, 8-0
1. Coley/Soos, E def KeySigmon ES, 8-0
2. Macy/ Jose Zuniga E, def Presnell/Cox, ES, 8-0
3. Rhett Bledsoe/Caeson Baker, E def Ryan Wagoner/Mason Gibson ES, 8-6