Firefighters from three local departments responded to a reported house fire on North Bridge Street in Elkin Saturday night.
Elkin Fire Interim Chief Don Mitchell said the fire, which was dispatched at 9:33 p.m., was in a glassed-in porch room at the rear of a house at 345 N. Bridge St., just north of the downtown area.
“According to the man living there, it started at the computer,” Mitchell said.
Upon arriving on the scene, firefighters knocked out the glass and knocked the fire down, and then the fire moved into the ceiling. They pulled part of the ceiling down to extinguish the remaining fire, Mitchell said.
“We had CC Camp and Arlington [fire departments] respond to help us,” he said. “We really appreciated their help. We needed manpower and they were there to help us.”
He said three people were living in the home owned by Samuel Neaves Jr. and Nancy Scheiber, according to Surry County GIS tax maps.
The American Red Cross responded to the scene and assisted the residents with lodging temporarily.
“The house is going to be livable, but they’ll need an electrician to make repairs to the back section and the county inspector has to sign off on it,” Mitchell said.
There were no rekindles at the scene during the night.
Wendy Byerly Wood may be reached at 336-258-4035 or on Twitter @wendywoodeditor.