Attention: The Elkin Public Library Fall Schedule is as follows: Aug. 31, All About Me!, Sept. 7, Going to the Zoo, Sept. 14, Tool Box, Sept. 21, Lots of Cars!, Sept. 28, Apples galore. Oct. 5 At the Fire Station, Oct. 12, Scarecrows, Oct. 19, Perfect Pumpkins, Oct. 26, Itsy bitsy Spiders. For more information Call 336-835-5586.
Attention: Spicer’s Fish Lake is Under New Management at Spicer Road in Austin-Little Mountain. Community. Operation Hours: Wed. 5 to 11 p.m., Fri. 6:30 p.m to 2 a.m., Sat. 6 p.m. To 2 a.m. Sun. 2 p.m. To 8 p.m. Call 336-927-1881.
Attention: The Yadkin Valley Senior Center & Jonesville Nutrition site, serves lunch everyday Monday – Friday at 11:30 a.m. Many activities are planned daily, bingo, coupon swap, quilting, sewing, mental health games, prayer shawls, blood pressure check, scrap booking, crossword puzzles, Zumba, Tai Chi, ENP Shopping, Fire Safety, Etc. You may call 336-526-1087 for more information.
Attention: Effective immediately! Monthly distributions of USDA Commodity Foods will no longer be distributed at the Moose Lodge in Yadkinville. They will now be distributed on an on-going basis through “partner agencies” of Second Harvest Food Bank of Northwest N.C. Families needing food assistance will need to contact one of the following agencies: Divino Redentor Catholic Church, 209 Lon Ave. Boonville, 336-367-7067, Tri-County Christian Ministries, 440 W. Main St, Jonesville, 336-526-1089, Yadkin Christian Ministries, 121 W. Elm St. Yadkinville, 336-677-3080, Yadkin Christian Ministries, East Bend, 336-699-4544.
Attention: Art For Homes 2012. Local artist are invited to participate in creating art from items donated to the Habitat Home Shoppe. A Habitat for Humanity ReStore. The skies the limit on what media or methods can be used: paint a chair, deconstruct a toaster, tile a table, or let you imagination run wild. Items may be selected from the Habitat ReStore with a value not to exceed $50. Restore staff will assist and must approve items.(If you decide not to participate you may purchase the item or return it to the store. All Art is due in to the ReStore by September 1st 2012. All submissions should include a before picture and the artist’s name. Art will be on display and available for sale at our annual ART for HOMES celebration at the Foothills Art Council on September 8th. So come and enjoy great music, food, and ART. 526-4663 or email .restore@UYVhabitat.org Attention: Tuesday’s 9-11 a.m. Beginning August 7, The Elkin Public Library will host “Computer Tutoring”, one-on-one help for those with no computer experience or those needing busic Internet searching skills. Free and sponsored by the Winston-Salem Urban League. On going. 336-835-5586. Attention: • 10:15 a.m-Book Babies with Miss Wendy will be at the Elkin Public Library on Thursdays. Featuring stories & songs for you and your baby. The program last for 20-25 minutes. Age 0-24 months and their caregiver.
Children’s Story Hours: The Elkin Public Library • 10:15 a.m. Fridays is Story Hour for 2 and 3 year olds • 11:15 a.m. Fridays is Story Hour for 4 and 5 year olds
Attention: Thursdays at 10:30, Boonville Community Public Library will have Preschool storytime for ages 2-5 year olds. This will consist of stories, songs, and crafts. Call 367-7737.
• 7:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m. Deep Creek Community Center will have a Country Ham, Sausage & Egg Breakfast. Sponsored by Courtney Ruritan Club. $7 for Adults & $4 for children under 12. All Profit & Donations will be used to make the Community a Better Place to Live.
• 10:00 a.m. Skins and Skulls will be the theme at Stone Mountain State Park. Meet a ranger at the A Loop Washhouse and learn more. 957-8185.
• 6:00 p.m. Stream Safari will be the theme at Stone Mountain State Park. Meet at Campsite #55. Join a park ranger to explore the stream in the campground and discover what lives in the water. 957-8185. • 6:30 p.m. Stone Mountain Falls Hike. Join a ranger for a short hike to ÅgBeauty FallsÅh and a discussion on local flora and fauna. Wear shoes appropriate for hiking. Meet at the Upper Lot Display Case. 957-8185.
• 6:30 p.m. East Wilkes High School will hold their 40th Class Reunion at Cedarbrook Country Club, 225 Country Club Rd, State Road, NC. Dinner buffet is $30 per person. Please RSVP by September 2nd and/or ask questions to AL@ 336-366-0953(firstname.lastname@example.org, Becky @ 336-971-0802 or Marie Collins Poteate 130 Russell Creek Rd. State Road, NC.
• 3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. The East Wilkes FFA is holding a tractor parade as a fundraiser at the Clingman Community Center. Registration for the parade begins at 3 p.m. Parade will begin at 5 p.m. And last approximately two hours. All years makes, and models are welcome. The cost of registration is $15. There will be hotdogs, chips, and drinks for sale as well. To ener the parade please contact Steven Calloway at 651-7253 or go to www.eastwilkesffa.theaet.com.
• 7:45 a.m. - The Yadkin Valley Rotary Club meets every Wednesday at 7:45 a.m. at the Fairfield Inn. For more information about the Yadkin Valley Rotary Club, visit www.yadkinvalleyrotary.org.
• 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m USDA Commodities will be available in Surry County for distribution to those who qualify. The Department of Agriculture sets the income guidelines used to determine eligibility. Individuals DO NOT have to be Food Stamp recipients to qualify. Distribution will be at Old Winn-Dixie Building, 1617 North Bridge St. Elkin.
• 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m USDA Commodities will be available in Surry County for distribution to those who qualify. The Department of Agriculture sets the income guidelines used to determine eligibility. Individuals DO NOT have to be Food Stamp recipients to qualify. Distribution will be at Veterans Park, 659 W. Lebanon Street, Mt. Airy. You must be a resident of Surry County and must have Identification Indicating residence.(NC Drivers License, Food Stamp Card, Utility Bill, Rent Receipt, etc). There will be a drive through at both locations. One person may pick up for multiple families or homebound individuals. You must have their ID and a note stating the address, income, number of people in household and authorization from the individual to pick up their food.
Humane Solution Spay/Neuter Program will sponsor a rabies/Microchip clinic in Elkin at Tractor Supply Company. This is a non-profit organization that provides vouchers to pet owners at a discounted price that are accepted at 30 veterinary hospitals in 6 counties. The 3 Veterinary clinics in Surry County are Animal Ark Veterinary Hospital, Elkin Veterinary Hospital, and Dobson Veterinary Hospital. Www.humanesolution.org. Or 336-723-DOGS.
• 7:30 a.m. 5/10K Run begins at the Mountain Heritage Festival in Sparta.
• 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Yadkin Arts Council will host the 36th annual Harvest Festival in downtown in Yadkinville. Unveiling of 19 ft. long wall mosaic at Yadkin County Library will be an event to see. There Will be Food Vendors, Farmer’s Market, Children’s Storyteller, crafts tent, petting zoo, and pony rides, Yadkin Idol Contest, Two stages of live music and craftsman demonstrations, Yadkin Christian Ministries Food Drive to be held. Www.yadkinarts.org/events. 679-2941.
• 10:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Mountain Heritage Festival in Sparta. Featuring Craft & Food Vendors along Main Street. Displays & demonstrations of Heritage Skills. Bearfoot Chainsaw Art. Jusin & Dance on Main Stage all day. Starring Kelley & The Cowboys, Rise & Shine Band, Possum Queen Competition.
• 4:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. Bojangles in Jonesville will be donating a percentage of sales to the Christian Hurt, Medical Fund in honor of the injured Starmount athlete.
Native American Powwow on the County fairgrounds in Sparta. For more information call 800-372-5473, CoolSparta.com/heritage.
• 4:00 p.m. 10:00 p.m. Friday
• 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Saturday
• 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m Sunday
• 6:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m 5th Annual Buckin’ Elk Tailgate Party. Elkin VS. Starmount Game at the Old Football Field. By the Yadkin Valley Chamber of Commerce and Town of Elkin, Mayor & Commissioners, Board of Education, Business Advisory Council, Parent Advisory Council, teacher Leadership council. Hotdogs with the Fixin’s will be available. Please R.S.V.P. By Sept. 14 to Noelle S. Wolfe. -835-3135 ext. 233 or email@example.com.
Pumpkin Festival in down town Elkin.
Foothills Quilters will hold it’s annual quilt show at Galloway Memorial Episcopal Church, during the Pumpkin Festival. Anyone from the area is invited to submit their quilt for the viewing. Antique and family heirlooms are encouraged or any handmade quilt regardless of membership in the Foothills Quilters. 244-7819.
• 11:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Old Fashion Day at Stone Mountain State Park. Promotes’ the Parks local heritage. Display’s include quilting, blacksmithing, looming, knife making, basket weaving. Enjoy bluegrass music and clogging. Please car pool as much as possible. 957-8185.
• 4:30 p.m. Rotary Club will hold a Ducky & Turtle Derby at Big Elkin Creek near the 268 bridge at the North side of the Elkin Park. $5 per Duck or Turtle. Call 835-4630 or 835-6689. Sept 24
• 5:00 p.m. Meet a ranger at the Visitor Center at Stone Mountain State Park to learn how to become a Junior Ranger.
• 10:00 a.m. Meet with a ranger at the Picnic Area at Stone Mountain State Park to learn about Predators and their prey, Predators of Stone Mountain. 957-8185.
Submission guidelines for calendar events: One-time events may be submitted for placement in the calendar at least two weeks prior to the date of the event. Information should include date, time, place, brief description and contact information, if necessary. Calendars are published as space permits and do not run in every issue of the paper. If your submission is not showing, it is due to the chronological order of the events. Events to be included are at our discretion, and information is subject to editing. Send events to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Commentscomments powered by Disqus
Local Gas Prices