Reigning tennis champs win conference opener
by Matthew Gorry Sports Writer
RONDA - Defending Mountain Valley Conference tennis champion East Wilkes kicked off the 2013 season right where they left off last year - with a dominating win.
The Lady Cardinals routed Ashe County 8-1 Tuesday afternoon to win their conference opener.
Molly Callaway put Hallie Brown away in the final set to finally secure the victory 6-3, 5-7 (10-7) at No. 1 to set the tone for East. ShaNisha White, Kayla Pardue and Mckenzie Stokes breezed to straight-set wins, while Kennedy Lester battled past Grace Miller 6-3, 1-6 (10-6) at No. 3 to notch the victory.
In doubles play, the Cards continued their dominating play, sweeping the Huskies.
East Wilkes 8, Ashe County 1
1. Molly Callaway (East Wilkes) def. Hallie Brown (Ashe County) 6-3, 5-7, (10-7)
2. ShaNisha White (East Wilkes) def. Maggie Witherspoon (Ashe County) 6-0, 6-1
3. Kennedy Lester (East Wilkes) def. Grace Miller (Ashe County) 6-3, 1-6, (10-6)
4. Kayla Pardue (East Wilkes) def. Kasey Curcio (Ashe County) 6-3, 6-2
5. Mary Austin Tugman (Ashe County) def. Abby Burchette (East Wilkes) 6-3, 6-1
6. Mckenzie Stokes (East Wilkes) def. Ella Copeland (Ashe County) 6-1, 6-4
1. Callaway/White (East Wilkes) def. Brown/Witherspoon (Ashe County) 8-2
2. Lester/Pardue (East Wilkes) def. Miller/Tugman (Ashe County) 8-5
3. Stokes/Maggie Weatherman (East Wilkes) def. Curcio/Copeland (Ashe County) 8-6
Reach Matthew Gorry at 835-1513 or email@example.com.
Commentscomments powered by Disqus
Local Gas Prices