DOBSON — A 51-year-old resident of David’s House Assisted Living Facility in Dobson has been charged with arson after a fire broke out at the home over the weekend.
Casey Douglas Barry was charged with first degree arson and was being held in the Surry County Jail under a $50,000 secured bond, according to the Dobson Police Department. No injuries or “substantial” damage was reported from the fire.
According to a statement released by the department, residents became aware of the fire while Officer R.D. Marshall was on the scene conducting a security check in the West Atkins Street area of the town. He saw smoke coming from the home and shortly afterward, someone activated a fire alarm inside the building. David’s House staff was able to evacuate the residents from the building with no injuries.
By the time firefighters arrived on the scene, David’s House staff had extinguished the blaze, and fire fighters determined it was a mattress ignited by a cigarette in a resident’s room.
“Upon further investigation with the assistance of the Surry County Fire Marshal’s office it was determined that the room’s resident, Casey Douglas Barry…had started the fire due to a discarded cigarette which he left burning on his mattress,” the department said in a written statement released Monday afternoon.
Barry’s roommate was reported to be sleeping at the time of the fire in an adjacent bed as Barry allegedly left their room while the mattress was burning.
Based on their investigation of this and what the department called “previous incidents,” the police department charged Barry with the offense.