Home destroyed in CC Camp blaze

By Anthony Gonzalez agonzalez@civitasmedia.com

March 12, 2014

The Elkin Fire Department responded to a fire call on Friday night that ultimately resulted in a total loss of a residence. All of the victims escaped, but three pets are missing and are presumed dead in the fire rubble.

Elkin Fire Chief Tommy Wheeler said that the call came into the station at about 10:55 p.m. reporting a possible entrapment and an active fire. Within minutes from the emergency call, responders learned that everyone living at the residence escaped the blaze, with the exception of pets.

The fire was located at 339 CC Camp Road.

According to Wheeler, the residents were not injured and reported that three dogs were trapped inside the home. The pets were not recovered and it is unknown if they escaped the blaze.

Wheeler said the fire likely started in the living room near an active fireplace.

“The residents did have a small propane heater in the house and the tank exploded after being consumed by fire. Our concern was safety and putting out the fire,” said Wheeler. “There was no suspicious behavior relating to an explosion that neighbors heard. This was an accidental fire.”

According to Wheeler, a smoke detector saved the lives of the residents.

The American Red Cross responded with aid for the three residents.

“We provided food, clothing, and lodging for three nights,” said MoAna Crompton-Dunn, disaster program manager for the American Red Cross for Surry/Stokes County.

Crompton-Dunn said the victims were renting the property.

Anthony Gonzalez may be reached at 336-835-1513 or on Twitter @newsgonz.