By: Matthew Gorry Sports Writer
September 4, 2013
ELKIN - The top two tennis squads in the Mountain Valley Conference keep on winning.
East Wilkes and Elkin notched two more dominating wins Thursday afternoon to stay atop the league standings. The Lady Cards (4-0) blanked Wilkes Central on the road in Moravian Falls 6-0, while the Buckin’ Elks (3-1) breezed past West Wilkes 8-0.
All six Cardinals won their singles matches in straight sets, led by No. 1 ShaNisha White’s 6-1, 6-0 triumph over Mary Hollis.
The doubles matches were rained out, but East swept its way to the comfortable 6-0 victory.
Elkin followed suit, sweeping singles play in straight sets, led by Miracle Walters on the first court. Walters topped Jenna Roten 6-0, 6-1 as no Elk lost more than one game on the afternoon.
The domination carried over into doubles play with Walters/Payton Nicholson and Julie Neumark/Emma Aldridge breezing to 8-1 victories.
In the third doubles match, Makayla Dimmette and Ally Gentry were leading 6-2 when rain halted forced a cancellation.
East Wilkes 6, Wilkes Central 0
1. ShaNisha White (East Wilkes) def. Mary Hollis (Wilkes Central) 6-1, 6-0
2. Molly Callaway (East Wilkes) def. McKenzie Ingle (Wilkes Central) 6-2, 6-0
3. Kennedy Lester (East Wilkes) def. Madison Wilcox (Wilkes Central) 6-0, 6-4
4. Kayla Pardue (East Wilkes) def. Marissa Ingle (Wilkes Central) 6-1, 6-1
5. McKenzie Stokes (East Wilkes) def. Bri Roten (Wilkes Central) 6-4, 6-2
6. Abby Burchette (East Wilkes) def. Stephanie Shinamin (Wilkes Central) 6-0, 6-0
Did not play
Elkin 8, West Wilkes 0
1. Miracle Walters (Elkin) def. Jenna Roten (West Wilkes) 6-0, 6-1
2. Payton Nicholson (Elkin) def. Liz Walker (West Wilkes) 6-1, 6-0
3. Makayla Dimmette (Elkin) def. Alexa Bumgarner (West Wilkes) 6-1, 6-0
4. Ally Gentry (Elkin) def. McKayla Bumgarner (West Wilkes) 6-1, 6-1
5. Julie Neumark (Elkin) def. Amanda Limn (West Wilkes) 6-1, 6-0
6. Emma Aldridge (Elkin) def. Kristyn Craig (West Wilkes) 6-1, 6-0
1. Waltlers/Nicholson (Elkin) def. Roten A. Baumgarner (West Wilkes) 8-1
2. Neumark/Aldridge (Elkin) def. Limn/Craig (West Wilkes) 8-2
Reach Matthew Gorry at 835-1513 or email@example.com.